Monday, October 25, 2010

Faux Fur Statement Necklace Tutorial

This season faux fur has come back with a vengeance. You see it everywhere and on everything. I am totally obsessed with it because it is so luxurious and I don't have to feel bad about wearing actual dead animals :(
So lets get started on making a totally awesome necklace! (Sorry if the pictures aren't that great, my camera isn't that great)
What you need:
Faux Fur - I used a piece of craft fur since I couldn't find actual fabric I liked.
Ribbon - I used black to match my fur but hey it isn't called a statement necklace for nothing!
Assorted Beads - I used pearls and emerald beads because I liked the contrast of colors.
Needle and Thread - It is best to use thread the same color as the fur.
Piece of paper - You will need to use it as a pattern.

Step 1:
You will need to draw your necklace design on a piece of paper and then cut it out. I pinned the paper onto the fur so it wouldn't move when I was trying to cut it.

Step 2:
Cut it out to your shape and then you will want to brush it. It shed quite a bit on me :)


Step 3:
Start sewing on your beads. Sewing them on ensures that the likely chance of you walking down the street and them falling off is slim. You don't want to get home and discover your hard work is half missing. If you don't know how to sew them on then follow these easy steps:
1: Knot your thread near the end of the string. Do this a couple of times.
2: Insert the un-knotted end of the thread into the needle's "eye" or hole. Leave a little extra hanging so you don't have to constantly keep re-threading.
3: Start at the back of the fur and pick the best place to start from. Go up through the fur and pull tightly so the knot gets stuck at the back.
4: Thread the bead onto the needle and insert the needle back into the fabric, pulling tightly. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until you get near the end.
5: When you get near the end and you need a new string you need to knot it off so it stays put. Make sure the needle is at the back of the fabric. Insert the needle just through the top layer of the backing and pull partly through, leaving a loop. Insert the needle through the leftover loop and pull tightly. This is knotting it off. Repeat a couple more times.


Step 4:
Using your design, sew all your beads into position. I forgot a picture of me sewing on the pearl beads :( As you can see I decided to do a little diamond shape at the top, I covered that part with beads and only the middle of the main part with beads.




Step 5:
Ta Da! You can see I sewed the rest of the beads around the emerald ones. You can add more or less beads as you wish and totally mix it up. You can even do a different shape if you wanted.
Stay tuned because I am going to show you how to make another type of statement necklace soon.
Stay Fabulous,
Disastrous Beauty





No comments:

Post a Comment