Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Statement Necklace Tutorial

As promised here is the other version of the faux fur statement necklace I made about a week ago. This one is more focused on the beading rather than on the fur itself. It is also a lot easier since I glued the beads on this time rather than sewing them on. Here is what you'll need:
Felt: I used a cobalt blue color. This is only going to be used as a background so color shouldn't overly matter.
Assorted beads: I used a variety of seed beads and medium sized beads for this one.
Main beads (optional): I used silver stars for mine since my theme was constellations.
Glue: Whether its fabric or hot glue use whatever you feel comfortable with. I used hot glue.
Paper and scissors: To sketch out your design like below.
Ribbon: To tie it all together. I used a contrasting color which in this case was black.


Step 1:
Sketch out your design on a piece of paper, modifying it until you get it where you want. Cut it out.
Step 2:
Pin the paper to the felt and cut it out. You may need to use fabric scissors for this.

Step 3:
Glue on your main beads which happened to be the stars for me. There is no particular pattern for where you need to glue them, just wherever you like.

Step 4:
If you are working with hot glue you're going to have to work in small sections at a time. Glue them in batches, quickly, before the glue dries out.


Step 5:
Finish gluing them all on, taking your time and pressing them down during each gluing to insure that they stay in place.


Just glue the ribbon onto the back corners and you are finished. From my experience of doing this necklace I wouldn't recommend using seed beads unless you have loads of time and patience. They definitely tried mine!
Stay Fabulous,
Disastrous Beauty





No comments:

Post a Comment